2016 has dawned… A new year! New challenges! New opportunities! Who knows what the new year will bring! Just some of the thoughts that ran through my mind as I celebrated “Coffee with the Lord” this morning.
My Bible reading this morning included Job 1:1-5 (I also started the year off by reading Genesis 1:1 – 2:3; Isaiah 1:1-31; Matthew 1:1-17; and Romans 1:1-7 – a Bible reading plan I developed called “Necessary Food”).
The introductory passage in Job especially impressed me today! I trust and pray that during the coming year I, by the grace of God, will exhibit the same godly character as Job (regardless of what life brings)!
- A life that is “blameless” – Job lived above accusation!
- Job was “upright” – what he was in behavior and lifestyle flowed from inner righteousness and integrity.
- He reverenced (or “feared”) God
- He avoided anything that was evil – He “turned away from evil” – in other words he was scrupulously righteous.
- His lifestyle was made even more remarkable and attractive because he enjoyed God’s favor and blessing (He was the greatest of all the people of the east”).
- He was a spiritual leader at home, exhibiting an ongoing concern for the spiritual welfare of his family.
What a man! I desire to live that kind of life in the coming year (and beyond)! God help me!!