I heard a Christian say it with alarmed emphasis the other day… “What is this world coming to anyway!”
Good question! And the Bible is not ambiguous about the answer! (This is where the habit of daily Bible reading can be helpful … it supplies Biblical answers to questions like that!)
But a related question begs for an answer… What should Christians do about it? How should they respond to that reality? At least a partial answer was supplied by my Bible reading today… 1 Peter 4.7-11 (I’ll post what it says as kind of a bulleted list)
“The end of all things is at hand [immanent]! Therefore…
- Be self-controlled and sober-minded for the sake of your prayers.
- Above all, keep loving one other earnestly, since love covers over a multitude of sins.
- Show hospitality to one another without grumbling.
- Use whatever gifts you have received to serve others, as faithful stewards of God’s grace in its various forms.
- If anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God.
- If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides…
And then the finale … DO ALL OF THESE THINGS “SO THAT IN ALL THINGS GOD MAY BE PRAISED THROUGH JESUS CHRIST! To him be the glory and the power forever and ever. Amen”
Listen… If the Bible is right in its assessment of the future (and I am convinced it is) … it’s going to get a lot worse before it gets better. In light of that, it seems to me that what you just read is really good advice! I’m going to put the things Peter emphasized on my spiritual “bucket list.” I want stay alert and be prepared for “the end” when the Lord returns!