It’s an important, big event – I mean BIG event! – They’re the ones called “the catching away” [or the “rapture” and “the Day of the Lord” – 1 Thessalonians 4:13 – 5:11)!
In light of this, Apostle Paul – the Thessalonian believers Spiritual parent (Acts 17:1-8 cp. 1 Thessalonians 1:1 – 3:12) writes his Spiritual children like a caring “Mother” (1 Thessalonians 2:7) or a concerned “Father” (1 Thessalonians 2:10-12) would!
He gives his Spiritual children these important, final instructions to help them prepare for “the BIG event” – the biggest event of all, the “Day of the Lord!”
Now, you remember those final parental instructions from Mom and Dad as you prepared to go out for a big event – I mean a “BIG EVENT” – don’t you! Oh, the reminders, the cautions, the assurances – even their final touches to your appearance while they were talking to you! Well, Apostle Paul, their Spiritual parent, has a similar conversation in his letter to the Thessalonian believers to prepare them for “the BIG EVENT!”
And it’s a conversation we should heed as we prepare for our future with Christ as well! Here are the aspects of it (From 1 Thessalonians 5:12-22)…
- Respect and honor for those “who are over you in the Lord!”
- Maintain peace and unity with fellow “brothers and sisters” in the Lord!
- Admonish the idle!
- Encourage the discouraged!
- Assist those who are weak!
- Show patience (not impatience) with one another!
- Don’t fall into the trap of retaliation – repaying evil for evil!
- Seek to “do good to one another (and everyone else)!”
- Rejoice! Rejoice!! Rejoice always!!!
- Pray continually about everything and anything!
- Give thanks to God in all circumstances!
- Don’t do anything that would grieve the Holy Spirit!
- Test everything (do determine what is genuine)!
- Keep – cling to what is good!
- Steer clear – avoid – every form of evil!
Now, I paraphrased Apostle Paul’s final instructions a bit, but I think I’ve treated them fairly! The “BIG EVENT” is near for all of us – “just around the corner!” I know the list is long, but we do ourselves (and others) a favor if we heed Apostle Paul’s instructions! Don’t get frustrated with the “final instructions” of a concerned Spiritual parent… let’s listen closely and heed what they urge us to do!!