Romans 12 is one of the most wonderful and important chapters in all the Bible! It begins by emphasizing the secret of a transformed life (vss. 1-2), then it transitions to a biblical description of what constitutes a health self-concept for a Christian (vss. 3-8), and finally it closes by presenting a wonderful picture of what an authentic Christian ought to look like in daily life (vss. 9-21). Hey take it from me, if you haven’t taken time to read and reflect deeply on its message, do it… DO IT NOW! In fact, I’d recommend you make it a Bible memory project… You’ll be glad you did!
I mean, can you imagine someone who lives like Romans 12:9-21 describes? What an impact they would have on their world! What a positive influence they would be in their community! How unbelievers would be drawn to their Spiritual magnetism! What a healthy, healing impact they would have within any local church (pastor’s would love ‘em!)!
Here’s a bulleted list of some of the things I saw there (some paraphrased by me)…
- Authentic, Christlike love – the real thing!
- An aversion for anything evil!
- A clinging to whatever is good and wholesome!
- Deep love and affection for fellow Christians (even those that do not share the same label)!
- People who love showing respect and honor to others!
- Never lazy… instead characterized by zeal for serving the Lord!
- Lives filled with hope – rejoicing in God’s promises and the bright future ahead for Christians!
- When things are tough… patient though their trials!
- People whose lives are filled with prayer – sustained prayer!
- Generous – they love to help other who are in need!
- When persecuted by others – they bless their persecuters instead!
- They rejoice when others rejoice!
- They share the sorrow of those who are in grief!
- They have wonderful people skills – they live in harmony with fellow Christians (and their neighbors)!
- They are never haughty and associate with common folk!
- They never act like “know-it-alls” or “smarty pants”!
- Retaliation is not the way they respond to wrongs! They NEVER try to get even – instead they respond with goodness, kindness and forgiveness!
- They are completely motivated by what is honorable!
- In any church, organization, or community, depend on it – they can be depended upon to be “peacemaker”!
- In fact, bottom line? They conquer the rampant evil around them with overwhelming goodness!
I’ll tell you… This is what I wrote in the margin of my Bible this morning… “Oh Lord, give me the grace to live this way!!! I believe that is how God wants authentic Christians to act!!!