Imagine what might happen if there were no warning signs like these…
- Warning: Children at play
- Warning: Watch your step
- Warning: Bridge out
- Warning: Highly flammable
- Warning: Poisonous
- Warning: Dangerous curve ahead
- Warning: Cattle on the road
And these are just a few of some of the warning signs you’ve seen. Here are a few more that are spiritual in nature that I encountered in my Bible reading today…
- “Do not desire evil”
- “Do not be idolaters”
- “Do not indulge in sexual immorality”
- “Do not put the Lord to the test”
- “Do not grumble”
All of these warnings are found in 1 Corinthians 10:6-11 along with the sad consequences that came to some people who ignored or violated the warnings. Spiritual warnings found in the Bible should be taken seriously. The results of ignoring them can be just as deadly… No, more deadly than the first warnings I used as examples.
But there is one huge, significant warning in that passage I haven’t given yet… A final warning that is so important – and devastating and deadly if ignored! Here it is…
“Let the one who thinks he/she stands take heed lest they fall!”
Spiritual arrogance is often deadly! Those who exhibit it often fall and fail! If ignored it leads to a deadly sin that we call “pride” and a related sin that we label “hypocrisy!” Beware of it! Beware!! Beware!!!
But the passage that is so filled with warnings, ends with a wonderful word of assurance! Here it is…
“No temptation has come your way that is not common to man. God is faithful, and He will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation He will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure [bear] it.” (From 1 Corinthians 10:6-13)
So here are a few observations for your and my Spiritual good!
- Heed the warning of Scripture
- Learn from the experiences of others
- Be very careful about the temptation to engage in Spiritual pride or arrogance
- There are just a lot of temptations out there that people have faced
- But never forget this fact…For every one of them the “Faithful God” provides a way of escape!
- One more time… Pay attention to God’s warning signs!