Can you imagine being a part of a group of people that exhibited the following qualities? …I mean can you imagine it?!
- People with sincere, genuine love
- They hate what is evil and cling to what is good.
- They are devoted to each another
- They honor one another above themselves – they put others first
- They are zealous about spiritual things and serving the Lord.
- They are hopeful and joyful
- They’re patient in their affliction,
- They are faithful in prayer
- They are generous with those who are in need.
- They practice hospitality.
- They bless those who persecute them (and never curse their enemies)
- They rejoice with those who rejoice and mourn with those who mourning
- They live in harmony with one another.
- They are not proud and never conceited, but willingly associate with ordinary people
- They never repay anyone evil for evil or seek revenge.
- They are careful to do what is right in the eyes of everyone
- If it is at all possible, as far as it depends on them, they seek to live at peace with everyone
- In fact, If their enemy is hungry, they feed him; if he is thirsty, they give him something to drink
- Here’s their overall principle… Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
(Adapted from Romans 12:9-21… You should read it right out of your Bible! I did this morning.)
Wow!! What a wonderful thing to be a part of a group like that! What a reputation they would have – what a testimony! What healing potential! Almost like “heaven on earth!” (Not heaven yet, but almost!) That’s what an authentic community of Christ followers ought to be like… That is what they should aspire to… That’s what they should be becoming!
Oh Lord, I cry out to You… Help any community of Christ followers that I am a part of to have those qualities as their goal, their vision, their mission! And may I do everything in my power to contribute to them being more and more like that – more like Jesus! Help me Lord!