I’ve met some “old folk” that were really positive, loving, and nice to be around. They were full of zest, kept their mind active, were as physically vigorous as possible, and Spiritually vibrant. Easy to want to “hang out” with that kind of person!
On the other hand, I’ve encountered some “old folk” who were negative, always complaining, critical, self-occupied, and moody… and a handful of them just plain ol’ mean! People avoided them… and you know what? …Their negative traits just got worse!
This is what I read about one “old guy” this morning during “coffee with the Lord”…
“Moses was 120 years old when he died, yet his eyesight was clear, and he was as strong as ever… Now Joshua son of Nun was full of the Spirit of wisdom, for Moses had laid his hands on him. So the people of Israel obeyed him, doing just as the LORD had commanded Moses. There has never been another prophet in Israel like Moses, whom the LORD knew face to face. The LORD sent him to perform all the miraculous signs and wonders in the land of Egypt against Pharaoh, and all his servants, and his entire land. With mighty power, Moses performed terrifying acts in the sight of all Israel.” (From Deuteronomy 34:7–12 NLT)
Last birthday I turned 69… Guess some would call me “an old guy” … I’m ok with that; got a few years of living and serving the Lord under my belt. Gotta tell you though, I really want to live and die like Moses! As I approach my “latter years” I want to be nice to be around!! Here’s just a few things I’ve observed about Moses I’d like to emulate…
1) I’d like to do what is necessary to stay physically, mentally, emotionally, socially and Spiritually healthy and active!
2) I want to be able to look back with satisfaction on the young leaders I’ve invested in! I’d like to have the privilege in some way of “laying my hands on them, mentoring them, passing on some “anointing,” and rejoicing at their effectiveness and success!
3) The Lord knew Moses “face to face” … I want to know the Lord that way! … In an ever increasing personal way! I don’t want to lose my intimacy with Him as I head down the hill of life!
4) Oh, and signs and wonders! Oh Lord allow me to be a channel of your power all the way through life! I don’t want your miracle working power to be a “once-upon-a-time” deal with me – just a distant memory.
5) I don’t want to look back on my life with a lot of regrets! But when I’ve made mistakes, and experienced discipline, I want to be like Moses, and “take it like a man!” No complaining! Only Thanksgiving and deep appreciation for God’s grace!
That’s the kind of “old guy” I’d like to be! Help me Lord!!