I’ve been privileged over the years to have had some wonderful coaches, mentors or encouragers… For example, I had a great cross-country coach in high school – Coach Crumpton. He had the unique ability to “light a fire under you” if you were under-performing… But at the same time he could be one of the most effective encouragers/motivators I have ever seen. Thinking back, I think I would have been willing to risk “death by effort” for that man! He really convinced me that I was able to perform way beyond what I thought I could… (and I did).
Apostle Paul did much the same thing for the believers he was writing to in Ephesians as Coach Crumpton did for me in athletics…
In his great apostolic prayer on their behalf (Ephesians 3:14-19) Paul prays that:
• They be empowered within by the Spirit
• That Christ would “be at home” in their hearts
• That they would comprehend more deeply Christ’s incredible love
• That they would experience God’s fullness
Then Apostle Paul says, “Com’on! you can do this! God working in and through you can make it happen! (Ephesians 3:20-21) So here’s the outline…
1. The Possibility: He is able to do within and through you more than you can ask or imagine!
Check out these incredible promises in that regard: 1 Thessalonians 1:23-24; Philippians 1:6; 4:13; Romans 8:35-38: 2 Corinthians 9:8; Jude 24-25, etc.
2. The Power: He is able to do it “according to the Power at work with us” – the indwelling Holy Spirit
3. The Praise: Glory to God in the Church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations – forever and ever!
And to all of that, I want to say “Amen” … So be it Lord! So be it!! I can almost hear my Heavenly Advocate and Coach now… Com’on LeRoy! You can do this!!